Monday, June 13, 2005

Last Will of John Latta Sr.

Last Will and Testament of John Latta Sr. - June 5th 1823

Orange County, N.C. Will Book E- Page 67

In the name of God Amen! I John Latta Senior of the County of Orange and the State of North Carolina being at present weak in body through age but of perfect mind & memory, thanks be given unto God therefore. Calling to mind the mortality of my body, do make & Ordain this my last will and testament, that is to say;

First of all I give and recommend my soul to God that gave it me, beseeching his most gracious exceptance of it and through the all sufficient merits & meditations of Jesus Christ my Saviour & redeemer & when death shall come I give my body to the Earth to be buried in a decent Christian manner at the discretion of my Executors and as to my wordly estate:

I give & bequeath to my Son Thomas Latta his note of three hundred dollars, at my death. I give and bequeath to my John Latta’s two children John & Maria three hundred dollars, at my death to each one hundred & fifty dollars, which money is in the hands of Jos. H.L.T. Latta, the interest of Said Money to go to my Estate.

I give & bequeath to my Son James Latta his note of three hundred dollars & I give to my son Jos. Latta, his note of three hundred dollars. I give & bequeath to my three son’s-in law Robert Walker & Robert Davis & William Faucett, their notes of three hundred dollars. I give & bequeath to my son-in-law Thomas Hollaway Junr. two hundred dollars which he borrowed of me, March the Eighth, Eighteen Hundred & Sixteen together with the In. due thereon.

It is also my will that my two grandsons William & John Hollaway shall have the Colt that now sucks the Mare, also that my Goods be divided into seven lots as equal as can be done & drawn for by James Latta, Joseph Latta, Robert Walker, Robert Davis, & William Faucett & John Latta’s two children.

It is my will that all my just debts be paid. It is my further will that what property I possess at my death shall share equally alike, namely, Thomas Latta, James Latta, Joseph Latta & Robert Davis, Robert Walker, William Faucett & John & Maria Latta & Thomas Hollaway Junr. And I appoint my sons Thomas & James Latta the Executors of this my last will and testament, ratifying this & no other to be my last will & testament. In witness thereunto I have set my hand & fixed my seal this Fifth of June, Eighteen Hundred and Twenty Three.

John Latta Senr. (Seal)

Published & declared in presence of these Witnesses present:

James Allison

Robert Davis

Orange County November Term 1824

The Execution of the foregoing last will & testament of John Latta Senr. Was duly proved in open Court by the oath James Allison a subscribing witness thereto & ordered to be recorded. At the same time the Excecutors therein named duly qualified.

Test.

TRANSCRIBED BY: LATHAM MARK PHELPS

October 12, 2003

No comments: